This is a very simple exercise that can help you deepen your breath and relax the body and mind.
You can practice this anywhere and at any time.
When I first started I would practice when I was in bed and ready to sleep. It can help you relax before falling off to sleep.
Follow these simple steps:
- Lie in bed and lay back
- Place one hand flat on your abdomen and the other flat on your chest.
- Take a normal breath
- Notice which hand moves up and down,
- If it is the hand on your chest you are taking shallow breaths.
- The aim of this exercise is to be breathing into the abdomen so the lower hand to be moving up and down and you are taking deep breaths.
- Continue to breathe taking deep slow breaths, raising the lower hand.
- Practice this every night even if you find that you are a deep breather it helps to relax you after a long day and keeps you present.
If you are breathing shallow breaths then practice at night and during the day, you can sit at your desk or in front of the TV and place your hands in position and breath.
The more practice the more it will become second nature and you will soon be breathing deeply all the time.
For children lay them down and place a small stuffed toy, small car, or even a snack on their tummies and teach them to breathe into their tummies by raising the object up and down with their breathing.
The more you practice the easier it becomes to be a part of your everyday life.